Mackinaw Area Historical Society/Heritage Village

In partnership with the Village of Mackinaw City, the Mackinaw Area Historical Society is well underway in their development of Heritage Village.  On approximately 143 acres of land just west of Mackinaw City, visitors can enjoy discovery trails, historic buildings, a covered pavilion, a restored log home, a sawmill and much more. Heritage Village’s period is from 1880 through 1917, a time of unparalleled changes in lighting, transportation, communication, housing, health care and nearly every other aspect of Straits-area living. It also reflects an era from which a precious few buildings are still standing, and stories told by parents, grandparents and great grandparents abound.

The Mackinaw Area Historical Society offers lively local monthly programs featuring informative presentations on historically significant topics. ​

1425 W. Central Ave.
Mackinaw City, MI 49701 

Michilimackinac Historical Society

In 2003 a committee was formed by the Mackinac County Economic Development Commission to study the impact of history and historic sites on the local economy.  The members of that committee were Jim North, Mark Mercer, Cheryl Schlehuber, and Jennifer McGraw.

Word spread of the committee’s work and there was a great deal of interest.  Soon the committee members included those above and Wes Mauer, Barbara Brown, Ollie Boynton, Don McKinnon, Keith Massaway, Cynthia Oliver, Paul Grondin, and Gary Caulkins.  Others asked to join.

It was determined that there was enough interest to reinstate the corporate status of the Michilimackinac Historical Society which had disbanded in the 1980s.  Keith Massaway undertook that project.

In the fall of 2004 the first membership meeting was held and over 80 people attended.  Soon after the group held it’s first election and Keith Massaway became the first president.  Initial goals included creating a repository for artifacts and documents and finding some way to save the Fort de Buade Museum.

Projects to date have been numerous besides the Fort de Buade which is our shining star.  Those projects include writing and publishing the St. Ignace Historical Walking Tour booklet, publishing 2 books – The Company and the Community by Patricia McCreary and the Reminiscences of David Corp, various educational programs including walking tours and cemetery tours, donating books to the St. Ignace library to fill out their Michigan history section, sponsoring genealogy workshops, education on Native American culture, and book signings,  researching and gathering oral histories and genealogy, collecting historic photos, and a general exchange of historical information and brainstorming on how to better educate the community and visitors to the community about this information.

Our future goals include Chief Dock restoration, converting space at the museum for a family history room, and preparing a history of the outlying areas of St. Ignace.

334 E. State St.
St. Ignace, MI 49781 

Original Mackinaw Bridge Museum

Located above MaMa Mia’s Restaurant, the Mackinaw Bridge Museum was created by the restaurant’s owner, J. C. Stilwell, who was one of the Ironworkers who built the Mighty Mac – The Mackinac Bridge. The museum began when JC purchased a spinning wheel (used to build the massive Mackinac Bridge cables on the spot) and a copy of a movie about the building of the bridge. Ironworkers from around the country began donating items to the museum, including a diving suit, documents, photographs, and many tools and parts used during the construction of the Mackinac Bridge.

231 E. Central Ave.
Mackinaw City, MI 49701 

Sault Historic Sites

Sault Historic Sites was founded in 1967 as a nonprofit corporation with the mission of preserving, restoring, and presenting the history of Sault Ste. Marie to visitors and local residents alike. Starting with the acquisition of the Museum Ship Valley Camp, Sault Historic Sites now owns and operates several locations in Sault Ste. Marie. Be sure to visit our historical sites on your next trip to Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula.

501 E. Water St.
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783