Learn about Mackinaw City, Michigan from a kids point of view!
Hold up your left hand, palm out. Mackinaw City is located at the top of your tallest middle finger. If you are wearing mittens and point to the top, you will see how the expression “Tip of the Mit” came to be.
We have 850 year-round residents. Our school is K-12 grade with approximately 250 students attending. This year we have 15 students in the senior class. During the winter many of our residents travel to a warmer climate. They return in the Spring.
Tourism is our main source of income. Approximately 300 million people visit the Mackinaw Area from May thru October. Fudge (a chocolate confection) is our main commodity. Mackinaw City has over 55 motels in a 2 mile radius. The city offers 3 ferry boat companies to take you to Mackinac Island (the only way to get there except by an airplane
Kids Around Town
We are just like you! We love sports, playing at the playgrounds, going to the movies and hanging out with friends. This is what we are up to! Heritage Village offers programs in the spring and fall for both local students and those who contact us for a 1/2 day historic ‘day in the life’ experience
Fun Things for Kids To Do
- Tour Fort Michilimackinac
- Watch fudge being made
- Visit the Mackinac Bridge Museum
- Visit Mill Creek State Historic Park
- Play miniature golf
- Have fun at the “Old School Park” playground
- Tour McGulpin Point Lighthouse
- Go swimming at our local beaches
- Have a picnic in one of the beautiful parks by the Bridge and around Mackinaw City
- Mine for rocks at the Mackinaw Mining Co
- Go fly a kite in the park
- Catch a fish from the State Dock fishing pier
- Watch the “Dancing Fountain”
- Create your very own bear at the Great Lake’s Bear Factory in the Mackinaw Crossings Mall
- Visit the local public library children’s area
- Take a tour on the Original Mackinaw Trolley Co.
- Walk the Dark Sky Discovery Trail
- Visit Mackinaw’s Heritage Village
- Go parasailing over the Straits of Mackinac
- Enjoy a free concert in Conkling Park at 8 p.m. every Tuesday and Saturday in July and August
- Free nightly laser show in Mackinaw Crossings Mall (seasonal)
- Stroll along the “Walk of History”
The Official Mackinaw City Chamber of Commerce
707 N. Huron Avenue
Mackinaw City, Michigan 49701